iPhoneer Blog

December 31, 2008

Apple TV not showing on iTunes

I just got as Christmas present an Apple TV, and while still syncing the media content from iTunes it stopped showing in the Devices list. Only 10 movies were synced and the HD movies bought in the Apple TV were not sent to iTunes.

I searched on different forums for a solution, but some of them suggested factory resetting, and I didn't want to pass through the iTunes, Podcasts and online pictures setup process again. So I kept looking for an alternative and found some posts saying that the AppleTV should be visible using 'pings'. In my case that wasn't the case. I reset my router and then I was able to ping the Apple TV new IP address.

So, if you're Apple TV is not shown in iTunes, first try to 'ping' it from a command.com or terminal window, and if it doesn't try to renew the Apple TV IP address or to reset your router.

No comments: